Quickly, grab onto my Brococli and let's go on a magical adventure!

Congratulations on finding your new home with Brococli Mode. Most of the content here is locked behind registration. But have no fear, you can sign up/in using your Discord and Steam accounts!

Admin applications: What needs to change?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Myrrdin

Founder
Website
gerbilmountain.com
So. It has come to our attention that the admin approval system needs to be improved, so we need your input on what to improve and how to do it. Had we known the problem existed we would have done something a LOT sooner, which is why it is so very important that you share your concerns straight away instead of keeping them bottled up. It does us no good and in the end just serves to create chaos.

So please, if you have concern; share them now.

For instance:
*What should be the minimim playtime on our servers?
*What should be the minimum forum activity
*How long should the training period be and how should we change the way we test our trial administrators

Other examples are of course very welcome

DeBigKai

VIP
Website
www.mixer.com
minimum playtime atleast 50 hours
atleast once every 2 days on the forums (unless vacation or Loa)
atleast 1 and a half month long i think the test are good but since i dont do examine them myself i dont really know a lot about them

SandboxPirate

VIP
I'll agree with Duncan on the 50 hours on the forum and same with posts at less once every 2nd day. And ofc a minimum of 100 posts before applying.

But I think the time period for training is fine. The Mentors just need to be more active in their training of the new ones. This should be manageable. And then I think we should bring in a Senior in the final test the mentor is gonna run on the subject. And it should be the mentor that sets up the test and get a hold on a senior for the test.

Teddi

VIP
ChromeScorpion/Duncan said:
atleast 1 and a half month long i think the test are good but since i dont do examine them myself i dont really know a lot about them
50 hours is incredibly steep. Keep in mind most players that have applied have less than 5 hours.

SandboxPirate

VIP
Teddi said:
50 hours is incredibly steep. Keep in mind most players that have applied have less than 5 hours.
I know man. But again it's also those who get through with that amount of game-time that will leave again just as fast, when it's not fun to play PH or TTT or what ever, again.

DeBigKai

VIP
Website
www.mixer.com
SandboxPirate said:
Teddi said:
I know man. But again it's also those who get through with that amount of game-time that will leave again just as fast, when it's not fun to play PH or TTT or what ever, again.
yep

Teddi

VIP
Sure, but you're also asking the impossible of players. Some of you don't even have 50 hours played.

SandboxPirate

VIP
I don't denie the fact I might not have 50 hours on all our servers. But I'm not talking about them having 50 hours on all servers, just all in all. And the fact that they have this much playtime on our servers all together will all ready at that point show their dedication towards the community and are far more reliable when applying then.
I mean. If you really want you could play for 12 hours a day in a weekend. I know not all have the time for doing so, but still we are not trying to make it easy for all to be admins. We are now trying to find those who really want to help and not just put that one post and say they have played on the server and it was fun for 5 hours.

DeBigKai

VIP
Website
www.mixer.com
SandboxPirate said:
I don't denie the fact I might not have 50 hours on all our servers. But I'm not talking about them having 50 hours on all servers, just all in all. And the fact that they have this much playtime on our servers all together will all ready at that point show their dedication towards the community and are far more reliable when applying then.
I mean. If you really want you could play for 12 hours a day in a weekend. I know not all have the time for doing so, but still we are not trying to make it easy for all to be admins. We are now trying to find those who really want to help and not just put that one post and say they have played on the server and it was fun for 5 hours.
agreed

Teddi

VIP
SandboxPirate said:
So your point is lets have a random arbitrary number stated by how many people see this person and how many agree with said number? The numbers that are tracked are across all servers. 50 hours even in general is impossibly difficult.

Are you actually reading what you're trying to say?

DaddyBlues

VIP
I think we should decide on an amount somewhere between 20-30 hours for minimum game time, 50 hours would be good as it would help weed out anyone that just thought it was fun for the first few hours or days they played but it could also mean people getting bored of waiting for that 50 hours mark. 20-30 hours could be a better point from here since it can be more acheivable.

I think a minimum of 50 posts on the forums should be a good starting point for people wanting to apply, so it will give them time to look around and see whats going on. And they should also have to introduce themselves in a thread. We could also say have a minimum of some hours on the forums, so they just havent posted 50 times of random things in a day.

I think our training period is okay for now, but there should be more meeting with mentors and check ups to see how everything is going, and perhaps even a test on the rules to check if they know them. I also like idea from sandy of having a senior in for the final test mentors run on the trials!

TheBooman

A enigma as vexing as life itself
VIP
I say about 25 hours for game time as it would show how much they play on our servers, and it is a time where they woukdnt be bored of us.

Minimum as Blues said 50 posts.

Training period I believe could be extended for a week? I mean an extra week for testing seems good to me ;P

SandboxPirate

VIP
Teddi said:
So your point is lets have a random arbitrary number stated by how many people see this person and how many agree with said number? The numbers that are tracked are across all servers. 50 hours even in general is impossibly difficult.

Are you actually reading what you're trying to say?
I know what I'm saying Teddi. And I know they might sound like impossible demands. But what I'm trying to do here is to make people come with other suggestions in, maybe not as high as what I think, but closer to that end so the level requirement for our future admins will be more challenging and at a level where we can see this is something they really want and don't just quit when times are though.

Ziph

I wasn't lying, I was just choosing among truths.
VIP
I agree with most things said in this thread, except the minimum post on 50 or 100.

My first post on here was my application, but I had more than 200 hours on the servers. Before this I had only been lurking around, never posting anything. So, I did know how most things worked but I do agree with that I could have been even more active.

Soo I think, just like Blues said, that there should be a minimum of HOURS on the forums. Sure, he/she should have made a couple of posts before posting the application. I think making a thread where they introduce themselves is a great idea.

About 25 hours on the servers sounds good to me. I think the testing period is fine as it is now, only there should be more and better communication between the trial and mentor.

Zigatron

why be moody when u can shake dat booty
VIP
Website
corgiorgy.com
Agree with most of this, also think the main thing we should take a look at when it comes to accepting people is not how they act in the trial period since most people will be acting...well like they're on trial, they wont break any rules or be mean to people for the most part since they know they're being watched. I think we should take a closer look at the past time spent on the server, before they applied, checking trough old logs and such since thats when they act like they would normaly, that's when you see how a person acts to others on the server and how much they feel like following the rules. I think that if we would be doing this since the start alot of people would not even be accepted as trials, but those are just my toughts, i don't think you can realy see if someone will make a good admin by judging them when they know they're being judged and can act differently. Also asking people on the server about the person and not just having a thread for admins to comment, its the people on the server that have played with the person the most and know if they are ready.

Skurk

VIP
many valid points and i think that about 50 post on the forums, 25 ingame on the servers would fit most people. the trial period is ok as it is but maybe have some people that wil be mentors and help out tedwardbear?

Daylight

50 hours is a bit much I would say a 20-25 hours minimum,

Trail period is a month which is plenty of time to work it all out, however I think they need to have actual lesson type things with there mentors I don't believe there is enough interaction between mentors and there corresponding trails another way you could all help is to post everything they do well and wrong in the trial admin notes.

As for forum posts I would say about 30-50 although we don't want people just spamming the forums with comments that don't help in anyway

Teddi

VIP
But people practically spam already just with posts like "Good job!" and "Awesome!".

The problem I see is everyone has ideas about arbitrary limits and requirements, yet there's no way of implementing them without defining a level of quality. X amount of hours on the forums doesn't work because it cannot be metered. X posts doesn't really work either because because of the amount of spam that does go on here.

So here's what I propose, a 3-requirement system. Any player that wishes to become Admin has to get the recommendation of 3 (subject to change) different admins. This enforces interaction with the admin team and it also means that admins are made aware if the person contacts multiple people. The player cannot post what recommendations they have, they can only be confirmed via the respective admin.

Furthering they get all 3 recommendations, it then escalates to the senior admins who have the final say. Admins would be asked from posting publicly regarding their approval and only posting in the review section internally, however for transparency this could be omitted.

This covers a range of requirements

- Players are pushed towards gaining an understanding and view what other admins do.
- Admins are aware of these players apart from posting "I never see you but I say yes anyways!"
- Senior admins garner a snapshot and can have stats available from their played time.
- It removes any arbitrary limits and requirements that really are not enforceable one way or the other.
- It still allows for a democratic process, however there is still a filter just in case any form of manipulation occurs.

Presuming they get all three references and any other requirements are met, approved, they become trial and so on, or whatever the process dictates.

Bit more plausible, fair and manageable eh?

Daylight

That is an idea I have never thought of, would they need those recommendations before they apply?

Myrrdin

Founder
Website
gerbilmountain.com
Nice post Teddi!
I think tha will help us improve our application system greatly. At the moment we look at the input people give in the apps and have a vote within the senior team concerning every single application.